As a first time mom I had no clue how to transition our daughter to a toddler bed. Like most first time moms, I relied on books, the internet and other mom friends who have gone through the process for advice. Now, after going through the process and learning a LOT, here are my top 5 tips to transition your babe to a toddler bed.
- Assess for Readiness – Is your babe a crazy sleeper like mine? Literally doing 360’s about a 100 times a night. He may need more room to be comfortable, to stretch out and relax without hitting the side of the crib every two seconds. If your babe doesn’t move much during the night and he necessarily isn’t asking for a new bed, stick to a crib as long as you can.
- Set a Date – Setting a date for the transition will help you and your partner to be held accountable for making it happen. Fridays are best to do this in my opinion especially if you and your partner have the weekend off from work and let’s be real we don’t especially want to be rolling into work on 2 hours of sleep, that’s no fun.
- Talk About It – Talking about this transition with your babe and everyone in the family will prepare him for what’s coming. I also recommend reading this book to introduce the idea. Get him excited about this change! I recommend talking about the transition at LEAST one week in advance. The last thing you want to do is just spring this on him day of and as they may leave him feeling unsure and unsafe.
- Reward! – This is the fun stuff, surprise your babe with a nice present of his favorite character or make him a smiley face pancake in the morning. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money just make sure he knows that you recognize what he did and sing his praises! Make it fun for the whole family!
- Be Patient – Every change in your babes world takes time, the first few nights may be rough, totally normal. Hang in there mama! Heck if you want to even sleep in his bed (if you fit), do it! I did the first few nights to make her feel more comfortable and I think that definitely helped her.
I hope these 5 tips to transition to a toddler bed will help you! I would love to hear about your transition, please leave a comment below!